MICHAEL EL-BACHA, SYDNEY AUTHOR, INTERVIEW


MICHAEL EL-BACHA, SYDNEY AUTHOR, INTERVIEW


michael-el-bacha-our-queer-art
*A Hero Award Nominee @ 2018 Australian LGBTI Awards
Picture By: Fatma Aboucham
What is your name?
Michael El-Bacha
Where are you from?
Sydney, Australia
What kind of work do you create?
Author at OH MY GOD! AM I ALRIGHT?
Radio Host/Presenter Radioactive2RRR88.5FM & 2nd Assistant Director FIlms

What do you define yourself as (visual artist, poet, theatre maker, etc)? Or do you not? Why/Why not?
Advocate LGBTIQ Community/ Speaker:( AM the first Australian/Lebanese Christian to come out in a form of a book being published in Australia) Actor, Model and a Survivor. AND now also Mums Carer.
How long have you been practising?
2014 when Oh My God! AM I Alright? was published and since have released it internationally in the USA, England & Lebanon. Gaining media internationally with the story. Its been a dream come true. Next year is South American Book Tour
What interests you about your medium or why do you use this medium?
Is Radio. I AM passionate about being heard and insuring other voices, opinions, ideas are also heard. The radio presenting came naturally and outlet not only for myself but giving opportunity to others
If not answered in a previous question, when were you first exposed to your art form?
In 2014 when my book was released and I had to travel the country and do public speaking and many media interviews.
What kind of work do you want to create, or what work are you inspired by that you would like to strive for/emulate?
My wish to inspre others to be true to themselves, educate and encourage awareness in order to assist in breaking down the barriers of intolerance
Every artist loses inspiration, or has “writer’s block.” What do you do to push through it?
I thrive on the support from the public and just everyday people who as a result of listening to my story and related have embraced awareness, especially those governed by their religious beliefs that have to do so as it is never my goal to change or convert those people, simply to educate ! I was born this way and God wouldn’t want me to live a tormented life. He will judge us. I am interfaith and interculture LGBTIQ Advocate.
What is special about your work? What do you have to say that others don’t?
My work is Unique to me, everyone has a story , which is unique to them but so far no one had been able to share their story from my point of view, my pain, my struggle as an Australian Lebanese man enduring an arranged marriage and I will forever be grateful, humbled, honoured most of all PROUD to have come out the other end and be the “1st” Australian Lebanese Male to “come out” in the form of a published Autobiography!
What limitations do you find with your medium? (this can extend to issues like audience reach)
I dont find Limitations to be an issue, We are a local station but with global reach . Only real limitations are closed minds after all its people who limit people.
What do you want to tell artists who are just beginning their journeys?
You need to be patient and be relentless. Never give up and keep at it. And your belief must always be organic for it to succeed.
You are not allowed to use your medium anymore, what medium do you choose to begin and why?
Every other possible method starting with Social Media.
Are you currently working on a project you’d like to plug?
I AM currently writing the 2nd draft screenplay adapation of OH MY GOD! AM I ALIGHT? which has a working title Sacred Heart with some amazing Australian film makers, screenwriters Simon Elrahi and Sue Liolio.
Where can we find your work?
http://ohmygodamialright.blogspot.com.au/?view=flipcard
http://ourqueerart.com/michael-el-bacha/

Comments